Street Party Guide

Let's give #OurNHS the birthday party it deservers and demand our 'birthday wish list' in style: No cuts, no closures no privatisation!

Here's our top tips to put on your own street party for #OurNHS. 

  • It's a good idea to plan early and get in touch with your council at least four to six weeks in advance.
  • You don't need a street party licence or to undergo a risk assessment – you simply need to fill out a form and apply to your local council.
  • You may need a Temporary Events Notice  if you plan to sell alcohol. It costs £21 and covers events of less than 500 people.  See example here. You should be able to find this on your local councils website. Simply type "Temporary Events Notice" the search bar.  
  • You don't need to apply for road closure. For most small parties in quiet streets, all your council needs to know is where and when the closure will take place so they can plan around it (for example, so emergency services know). You also should not be charged for wanting to close your road.
  • You don't need to buy expensive road signs. Some local councils will lend you signs and cones, or you can hire or buy signs, or even print your own from downloadable templates if they are for use in daylight.
  • There is no requirement by government to have public liability insurance.
  • The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has confirmed that one-off events such as street parties aren't usually considered food businesses, so there is no need to secure a food licence.
  • If you're interested in doing something even bigger, i.e holding a large event in your town centre or village, please contact us at and we'll be happy to offer advice. 


Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.

Donate Volunteer


Join Mailing List