National Demonstration For Homes - Against the Housing Bill
Sunday 13 March 2016
Thousands of people are set to march on Parliament to oppose the Tories Housing and Planning Bill and demand: Kill the Housing Bill, Secure Homes For All, Rent Controls, and Homes For People Not For Profit.
The Tories are pushing through legislation that will make the housing crisis much worse. The Housing Bill, which is currently in the House of Lords, aims to destroy council and social housing and threatens to send rent and house prices soaring. The Housing Bill will affect everyone on an ordinary income - it will mean higher rents, less security, and less chance of a home you can afford.
The Bill condemns millions to a lifetime of insecure, expensive private renting. Everyone deserves a decent home: but landlords and developers will be the only ones to benefit from this bill.
Join the National Demo to Kill the Housing Bill and Demand Decent Housing. The march assembles at 12 noon on Sunday 13 March at Lincoln’s Inn Fields, WC2A 3TL. The route of the demo is via the Strand, Trafalgar Square and Whitehall. The march will end with a rally in Parliament Square at 2pm.
We think it’s madness that the Tories want to destroy council housing when millions are on waiting lists. Most of us will be stuck paying high rent with no way out. Here’s how the Housing Bill will affect you:
Do you live in council or social housing?
- The Housing Bill is an attack on social housing and legislates for social cleansing.
- Local authorities will be forced to sell ‘high value’ properties – the biggest council housing sell-off in generations. Most of inner-London is high-value.
- Secure lifetime tenancies in council housing will be abolished, replaced with maximum 2-5 year tenancies with no right to pass on to children.
- Council tenants with an income of £30,000 (£40,000 in London) will be hit with a ‘pay to stay’ tax, to bring their rent up to market levels – an up to 400% increase.
Are you a private renter or do you want to buy a home?
- The Bill does nothing to address the housing crisis and will lead to soaring rents and house prices.
- Social housing will be replaced with ‘starter homes’ that will be out of reach for most - you need an annual income of £70,000 to get one in London.
The demonstration is organised by the Kill the Housing Bill Campaign and is supported by Defend Council Housing, Radical Housing Network, the People’s Assembly, Momentum, the Green Party, CWU, NUT, GMB, Unite Housing Workers, John McDonnell MP, Jeremy Corbyn, Lords and celebrities and many more.
The demonstration will be attended by council tenants, home owners, private renters, architects, students, migrants groups, women’s campaigns, trade unionists and many more.
Like the Facebook Page Kill the Housing Bill Campaign
Join the Facebook Event National Demo Against the Housing Bill - Sunday 13 March 2016
Follow on Twitter @KillHousingBill #KilltheHousingBill
More information at killthehousingbill.wordpress.com
Download the latest flyer HERE
The Demo is also a great place to Build the March for Health Homes Jobs and Education Sat 16 April.
Keep sharing and inviting the Facebook Event widely!
SEE YOU ON THE STEETS