Point number four on the Conservative Party's Long Term Economic Plan pledges: 'Capping welfare and working to control immigration so our economy delivers for people who want to work hard and play by the rules'.Read more
A quick reminder: renters’ rights, like just about any other rights, were not handed to us on a plate. Campaigns for fair rents and against horrific conditions have been waging for over a century and some of them feel so familiar it’s uncanny. I wouldn’t be surprised, for example, if the Focus E15 mums turn out to be direct descendants of Mary Barbour, a firebrand Glaswegian who banded together hundreds of mothers to organise city-wide rent strikes leading to some of the first legislation on rental rates in the UK.
1) The psychology of austerity - Dr Carl Walker of Psychologists against Austerity.
2) The Housing Crisis - What are the main political parties are proposing to counter the crisis...
3) Upcoming Actions - the part where you get to take part. We have a HUGE rally & festival on June 20 incoming!
4) New music - for our patreon supporters. The Men That Will Not Be Blamed for Nothing with "Doing it for the Whigs".
As I travel into Waterloo each morning, I play a game.
I try to spot, through the dilapidation I had to put up with for five years, exactly when the train hits London. More accurately, I try to spot the capital when the dilapidation forms a contrast: the southern limits of the city are marked when houses on the same street are either immaculate - all plate glass extensions and manicured gardens - or a shambles, paint peeling away from rotten door frames, condensation peppering single-glazed windows.Read more
In this episode:
1) Osbournes Budget, an exercise in secrecy and unsound statistics.
2) What is Austerity? We talk to Matt Willgress of the North London Peoples Assembly about what austerity means, and what it means for you....
3) Upcoming actions - the part where you get to take part.
4) New music from Honeyfeet. You saw them at the Manchester rally with Billy Brag and loved them. They loved you too so they're giving you a song if you've signed up to support the show via Patreon.
National Union of Teachers commits to defend education against waves of cuts by backing demo, calling industrial action up to and including national strike action. By teacher Andrew Baisley.Read more